Senior Government Relations Officer
Job offer at Asian Development Bank
Senior Government Relations Officer
Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1 Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle.
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Government Relations Unit (OAIS-GR) within the Office of Administrative Services (OAS).
OAS manages the building, office space facilities, and delivers over 70 diverse services essential for ADB’s operation. It provides administrative support to ADB Management and staff and delivers quality products and services at an affordable cost. The office is headed by the Principal Director (PD) and supported by Division Directors who manage the respective business units.
OAIS-GR is responsible for implementing the privileges and immunities provided for ADB and ADB personnel under the Agreement Between the Asian Development Bank and the Government of the Republic of the Philippines.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Senior Government Relations Officer is responsible for the development and enhancement of effective relations between ADB and the Philippine government agencies/offices and diplomatic missions and related institutions; supervises and coordinates government relations activities to promote ADB objectives in accordance with the Headquarters Agreement (HQA); advises and supports the Unit Head, OAIS-GR on following up and monitoring the development and latest status of the Philippine laws and regulations that relate to or may have a bearing on the implementation of the Privileges and Immunities (P&Is) of ADB and its personnel under the HQA; liaises with the Philippine Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) and other relevant government entities on Presidential and VIP airport facilitation; advises and supports ADB user sections to secure permit and licenses from the government and local agencies/units for institutional needs; contributes to the enhancement of programs to streamline related work processes; and liaises with diplomatic community in the host country for networking and information sharing. The incumbent will report to the designated International Staff and will supervise Administrative Staff.
- Enhances and sustains liaison and good relations with host government agencies/offices to facilitate implementation of privileges and immunities granted to ADB and its personnel in accordance with the HQ Agreement.
- Documents, verifies, provides recommendations and executes appropriate response actions on new legislation and government policies affecting ADB and its personnel’s immunities and privileges.
- Establishes effective networking in the Philippines and in field offices to address ADB’s government liaison and diplomatic mission programs and initiatives.
- Creates awareness of ADB in the government agencies/offices, diplomatic missions, embassies and consulates, and other related institutions.
- Monitors and assesses the political situation in the Philippines and constant changes in government functionaries.
- Liaises with the Philippine Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) and other relevant agencies on Presidential and VIP airport facilitation.
- Ensures timely and smooth processing of ADB requests for airport facilitation and contributes to the enhancement of programs to streamline related work processes.
- Advises and supports ADB user sections to secure permit and licenses from the government and local agencies/units for institutional needs, such as building construction and renovation.
- Utilizes appropriate liaison techniques and develops procedures and programs between ADB HQ and field offices, and government offices and diplomatic missions to assure the smooth implementation of the P&Is and to maintain a good working relationship with the Philippine government and diplomatic community.
- Supervises and coordinates the performance of team members by distributing workload and providing clear direction and regular monitoring of performance.
- Develops and implements OAS’ major work programs and special projects; such as strengthening partnerships with the government.
- Coordinates engagement with and in-house services of front-line government agencies such as PAG-IBIG, SSS, PhilHealth, and Special Resident Retiree’s Visa (SRRV).
- Implements OAS’ special projects aimed at strengthening partnerships with the government, including year-end appreciation events Performs other duties assigned by the incumbent’s immediate supervisor/s, as reflected in the incumbent’s work plan.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration, Law, or related fields; preferably with Master’s degree or equivalent.
- At least 10 years of relevant work experience managing liaison with Philippine government agencies/offices, and in dealing with diplomatic entities; and at least 5 years of supervisory experience.
- Knowledge and understanding of the privileges and immunities of ADB and its personnel under the Headquarters Agreement between ADB and the Philippine Government, and supplemental agreement and understandings, an advantage
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of government procedures related the privileges and immunities of ADB and ADB personnel, an advantage
- Excellent computer skills with thorough knowledge of common word-processing, spreadsheets and graphics software used in multilateral organizations.
- Thorough knowledge of ADB’s or other multicultural organizations’ standard IT platforms and familiarity with database management systems and other types of software/systems would be an advantage.
- Ability to handle high volume of work in tight time constraint without loss of accuracy.
- Able to work collaboratively with teams as a constructive team member.
- Effective report-writing and communication skills in English.
- Ability to develop rapport internally and externally in a multicultural environment.
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for National Staff levels 3-4.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.