Statistician (Data Science)
Job offer at Asian Development Bank
Statistician (Data Science)
Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Statistics and Data Innovation (SDI) Unit under the Office of the Chief Economist and Director General (EROD) within the Economic Research and Regional Cooperation Department (ERCD). The ERCD, led by the Bank’s Chief Economist and Director General, supports the Bank’s mission by providing macroeconomic forecasts, producing statistical databases, undertaking country diagnostic studies and other analytical work, and fostering regional cooperation and integration. The SDI Unit publishes knowledge products on statistics and data analytics; undertakes statistical capacity building in ADB’s developing member countries (DMCs); develops and maintains databases; drives the use of new data techniques and technologies within ADB and DMCs; and coordinates with regional and international statistical agencies on global statistical standards.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The position will lead, design and implement data science projects within the department, and advise on data science projects undertaken by ADB and DMCs, including national statistical offices; supervise and provide training modules on data science for ADB and DMCs; assist in the production of unit’s flagship publications and implementation of new technologies; and work within broad policies and objectives with supervision for unfamiliar or critical tasks. The incumbent will report to the Advisor, ERCD and Head, EROD-SDI and will supervise National Staff and Administrative Staff.
· Lead, design and implement data science projects in support of department’s research activities
· Provide advice on data science projects to other ADB units in support of strengthening the analytical base for ADB’s Strategy 2030 and operational agenda
· Provide advice on data science projects and collaborate with DMCs, including national statistical offices, on the implementation of new data sources, techniques and technologies.
· Participate in the preparation of statistical outputs and unit’s publications and releases.
· Incorporate the use of suitable ICT to advance relevant statistical business processes and methods.
· Participate in, and contribute to, relevant internal and external training, conferences and other activities for advocacy, dissemination and knowledge building in data science.
· Organize technical meetings, workshops and training programs in data science for ADB and DMCs as appropriate.
· Lead missions to formulate and administer technical assistance projects, prepare terms of reference, supervise and review the work of consultants.
· Provide leadership and support to reporting staff and consultants.
· Supervise the performance of reporting staff, providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance.
· Ensure the on-going learning and development of reporting staff.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
· A post-graduate degree in Data Science, or in Statistics and related quantitative fields with a focus on Data Science.
· Suitability to undertake the responsibilities mentioned above at the required level
· At least 8 years of relevant professional experience. Experience in national statistics office, or data-related office in an international organization, and in research is preferred.
· Experience in the use of ICT for upgrading business processes is preferred.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills in English, as well as inter-personal skills.
· Preferably with international working experience
· Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for International Staff Level 3 to 4.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.